Space heaters can certainly warm up frosty toes or a chilly basement office while keeping the overall temperature of your home at a modest, budget-friendly temperature but these little heat-exuding appliances can be deadly if not used properly.
To keep you safe, let’s just recap some numbers listed by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) so you understand just why we want you to pay attention.
There are several types of space heaters and almost half of the fires involve electric space heaters so please use common sense.
- Turn off & UNPLUG space heaters when you leave the room
- Don’t use them while sleeping
- Keep a 3 feet clearance radius of anything that can burn (including people)
- Never, ever use an extension cord
- Only use space heaters which have an auto shut-off to turn the heater off in case its tipped over
- Place the heater on a solid, flat surface
To keep you and your family safe, read the instructions and follow manufacturer’s guidelines on any space heater you own. You can download the Portable Heater Safety checklist issued by the NFPA.