Every homeowner’s worst nightmare is to come home after a long day of work only to find their home engulfed in flames and smoke. At Midwest Restoration Services in Batavia, we’ve helped hundreds of homeowners successfully recover their home and personal belongings from the devastating effects of a fire. While you may feel this type of disaster will never happen to you, the National Fire Protection Agency reported over 365,000 residential fires in 2015, costing upwards of seven billion dollars in damages. If you want to take a proactive approach to reducing your risk of a house fire, consider the tips below.

Stand By Your Pan When CookingFamily standing in front of house

One of the most popular places house fires occur is in the kitchen. Many homeowners have a tendency to throw something on the stove only to walk away and forget that they were even cooking. When you make a point to stand by your cooking pan, you’ll never have to worry about accidental house fires occurring from your stove because you will be right there in the kitchen.

Give Your Heater Some Space

The second-most-common cause of house fires is portable electric heating systems. Less concerning during the cold winter months, your portable heater can cause a variety of issues if sheets or window curtains come too close in contact with it. In order to properly prevent your heater from catching anything on fire, make sure to give your space heater plenty of space. According to Meri-K Appy, the president of the Home Safety Council, an electric space heater should be placed 3 feet clear of any items around it to avoid danger.

Put Out Your Butts

It’s no secret that smoking cigarettes can cause harm to your health, but did you know that cigarettes are the third-most-common cause of house fires? If you have the tendency of lighting up inside or outside of your home, it’s critical to ensure that your cigarette butts are put out in order to prevent a house fire. If a still-smoldering cigarette butt happens to come in contact with a flammable surface, such as a couch cushion or blanket, your home could go up in flames almost instantaneously. If you have a smoker in the house, make sure they pour water on their cigarette before throwing it away.

Organize Your Electrical Cords

While you may love your big screen TV and video gaming systems, if your electrical cords are faulty or deteriorating they could start a house fire. When electrical cords become frayed or cracked, they can send sparks out in every direction. If one of those sparks falls on something especially flammable, like a magazine or wooden entertainment system, your home could catch fire. In order to take preventative measures, check all of your home’s electrical cords to ensure that they are in good shape. If you find any that are worn out or tethered, replace them with new cords as soon as possible.

Remove Lint From Your Dryer

If you own a washer and dryer and wash your clothing regularly, make sure to remove lint from the dryer filter after every use. When your dryer’s filter is clogged with lint, it not only makes your dryer less efficient and reduces high quality airflow, it forces excess lint onto the heating coils. If enough lint collects on the heating coils of your dryer, they could easily ignite and start a catastrophic house fire.

Be Careful With Candles

Everyone loves the scent of a refreshing candle, but no one wants their home to go up in flames because of one. Before lighting your next candle, make sure it’s placed in a sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holder and placed where it cannot be easily knocked over. Place your candle at least 12 inches away from anything that could catch on fire and be sure to keep it out of the reach of young children.

If your home has suffered damages from a fire, contact the restoration professionals at Midwest Restoration Services today. We’ve helped hundreds of Illinois residents recover their home from fire damage and smoke damage and are dedicated to providing you with exceptional customer service. Our experienced and certified restoration experts can help you get your home on the road to recovery quickly and efficiently.